is a limited liability company specializing in plant protection product trials. The sole owner of LAAPC is Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies. The company has been working in plant protection since 1913 an it was the first company in Latvia to receive the Good Experimental Practice (GEP) certificate.
- We offer plant protection product, fertilizer and plant biostimulant field trials for product development, registration (GEP trials) and marketing purposes.
- We offer pest sampling and monitoring.
- We support our customers in regulatory affairs.
- We are flexible and we also offer our services for more complicated non-standard projects in plant protection and crop production.
Team of highly qualified and experienced proffesionals carries out plant protection product efficacy, selectivity and carry-over trials on various cultivated crops in all over the country.
- Tree wound healing protective agents
- winter wheat
- spring wheat
- winter rye
- winter triticale
- spring triticale
- winter barley
- spring barley
- winter oilseed rape
- spring oilseed rape
- sea buckthorn
- ornamental plants
- greenhouse plants
- non-agricultural areas
As a result of consolidation, scientific function was separated from the company, and Plant Protection Scientific Institute “Agrihorts” of the Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies was established.
The main function of the Latvian Plant Protection Research Centre Ltd remained testing of plant protection product efficacy trials of plant protection products.
The Latvian Plant Protection Research Centre was taken into ownership by the Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies.
The institution was moved to a building in Riga (Struktoru 14a), which is the current location of the company.
An entry was made in the Commercial Register regarding the registration of a state limited liability company.
In 2006, the first Good Experimental Practice (GEP) certificate was received.
After regaining independence, the institution returned under the authority of the state of Latvia.
In 2000, in accordance with the requirements of the European Union directives, the Regulations on Good Experimental Practice in Latvia were developed so that the results obtained in the experiments could be used in all countries of the Baltic Sea region.
Experiments and research were carried out on several base farms throughout the territory of Latvia: the collective farms in Jelgava, Bauska, Preili and Riga districts and the Soviet farm in Dobele Region.
In the 1970s, young, promising scientists, such as Maija Eihe, Olga Treikale, Vitolds Tumans, started working at the institute.
The institution was incorporated into the All-Union Plant Protection Research Institute (AUPPRI) system.
In 1959, the institution moved to a newly built building at 36/38 Lielvardes Street, where it was located until 2011.
During the war and occupation, the volume of operation of the institution decreased, but its staff continued working.
In 1944, the botanist Alfrēds Rasiņš, started working at the institute. He developed weed identification guides and compiled “Terminological Dictionary in Plant Protection” (1960).
International collaboration with the scientists from other countries was started, thus opening broader opportunities for scientific activity.
In 1934, the construction of a laboratory building and a greenhouse on Lielvardes Street, Riga, was completed.
The institute formed branches in different parts of Latvia. Testing of chemical plant protection products became an important part of the institution's work.
In 1926, the Plant Protection Museum was opened in Riga.
The first order from a manufacturer of chemical pest control products.
In 1920, co-operation was started with the Faculty of Agriculture of the University of Agriculture in student training.
In 1922, the station was moved to Riga (Baznīcas iela 4a), in order to make it more accessible to farmers throughout the country and to inform them about pest control methods.
The first plant protection scientific research institution in Latvia started operating in Priekuli, Cesis Region.